banner USF Home College of Arts & Sciences OASIS myUSF USF A-Z Index

USF Home > College of Arts and Sciences > Department of Anthropology

Undergraduate Advising: FAQ’s

Contact Advising:

The best way to reach Undergraduate Advising is via email at Please email from a USF email address and be sure to include your full name and University ID number.

How do I make an appointment?

You can schedule an appointment up to two weeks in advance through this link:

When is an appointment recommended?

The Department of Anthropology recommends that each student make an advising appointment after declaring Anthropology as their official major and at the beginning of their senior year. However, students can make an appointment at any time if they would like help with course planning, Study Abroad & Field Schools, or just have general advising questions. The more often you meet with an advisor the better job we can do helping you stay on track.

How do I officially declare my major in Anthropology?

You will declare your major online through the College of Arts and Sciences: and within a few days should get an email from the advisor welcoming you to the department and inviting you to schedule an advising appointment.

What if I am an Anthropology minor?

You declare the Anthropology minor on your graduation application, but you are still welcome to meet with the undergraduate advisor to go over requirements for the minor and any questions you may have.

What if I am a Transfer Student?

You will be required to meet with an advisor as part of your orientation program, at that time we will discuss your remaining degree requirements and help you plan your schedule.

What if I am a senior?

It is very important that you schedule a graduation check appointment during the semester BEFORE you intend to graduate. If you wait until your final semester it may be too late to register for any remaining requirements.

What if I just have a simple question?

You can e-mail In the e-mail message, Include your name, student ID number, and a phone number.

I just need a permit for class; do I need to see an advisor?

You can request a permit via email at Please be sure to include your name, university ID number, and the course number (as well as section number).

What if I need to late add/late drop/or withdraw from a class?

You must file a petition with the Academic Regulations Committee for the College of Arts and Sciences. All forms can be found on this site and must be filled out completely. They should be turned into the College of Arts and Sciences in 201 BEH.

What other type of help is available?

The Career Center
The Counseling and Wellness Center
Financial Aid
New Student Connections
Student Disability Services
Student Health Services
Study Abroad/Education Abroad
The Transitional Advising Center
Tutoring and Learning Services
Veterans Affairs
The Writing Center

Undergraduate Advising Forms

Incomplete Grade Contract – Anthropology Department form

Undergraduate Independent Study Contract – Anthropology Department form