Associate Professor and Graduate Director
Office: SOC 123
Ph.D., Anthropology, University of Arizona
MPH, Public Health, University of Texas School of Public Health
MA, Anthropology, University of Texas at San Antonio
Issues in Migrant Health, Anthropology of Health Policy, Anthropological Theory Today, Applied Anthropology, Cultural Anthropology, Human Rights and Transitional Justice, Health & Medical Systems, Theory in Medical Anthropology
Medical anthropology, sociocultural anthropology, law and society, migrant health, health policy, undocumented/unauthorized migration, informal labor markets, constructs of citizenship, binational and mixed-status families, migration to Germany, Roma, Mexican migration to the U.S., US/Mexico borderlands
My research lies at the intersection of cultural and medical anthropology and focuses on migrant health, constructions of citizenship, and how policy and legal institutions shape everyday experiences of immigrant communities. Current projects focus on:
- Mixed-status families along the US/Mexico border, focusing on the Rio Grande Valley of Texas (funded by the National Science Foundation and the Wenner-Gren Foundation for Anthropological Research)
- Transit migration along Mexico's Ruta Pacifica (in collaboration with the Universidad Autónoma de Sinaloa; funded by the Wenner-Gren Foundation)
- Effects of health policies on immigrant communities
- Immigrant youth movements, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), and higher education in Texas and Florida
Eileen Deluca, Melissa Johnson, Ryan Logan, Paula Mead, Kanan Mehta, Seiichi Villalona, Aria Walsh-Felz
- Castañeda, Heide, Holmes, Seth M., Madrigal, Daniel S., Young, Maria-Elena DeTrinidad, Beyerle, Naomi, and Quesada, James (2015) Immigration as a Social Determinant of Health. Annual Review of Public Health 36:375-392.
- Castañeda, Heide, Kline, Nolan, Rapp, Mackenzie, Demetriou, Nicole, Ahmed, Naheed, Chan, Isabella, Crocker, Theresa, Dickey, Nathaniel, Dillon, Patrick, Dotson, Hilary, Frost, Jordana, Hobbs, Natalie, Koby Novicki, Emily, McNab, Philip, Montiel-Ishino, Francisco, and Timmons, Colleen (2011) Assessing the 2010 Affordable Care Act: Perspectives of Future Health Care Professionals. Practicing Anthropology 33(4): 44 – 48.
- Luque, John S., Castañeda, Heide, Martinez-Tyson, Dinorah, Vargas, Natalie, Proctor, Sara, and Meade, Cathy D. 2010
HPV Awareness among Latina Immigrants and Anglo American Women in the Southern U.S.: Cultural Models of Cervical Cancer Risk Factors and Beliefs. Annals of Applied Anthropology (Formerly NAPA Bulletin)
- Yuan, Nicole P., Wind, Steven, Nichter, Mark, Nichter, Mimi, Castañeda, Heide, Carruth, Lauren, and Muramoto, Myra L. 2010
Types of Lay Health Influencers in Tobacco Cessation: A Qualitative Study. American Journal of Health Behavior 34(5):607–617.